|Heidi in full tribal regalia|
In fact the entire event is a celebration of the performing arts in all it's forms as they intersect with the facinating and exotic world of Steampunk Fiction. Heidi will also be bringing real world performances of Tribal Belly Dance to that same stage later in the day as one of the main performers for the event. I was recently honored to interview her about her dance, her influences, and her impressions of performing in the Steampunk Community.
- How would you define your dance style or genre?
- I am an American Tribal Style Belly Dancer, and I have mostly done more of the world/gypsy type genre
- What artists do you think most influenced your current style or styles?
- Carolena Nericco, as being the creator of ATS, but there are too many Tribal dancers to name that have influenced me in some way, either dance technique or costume. I also take inspiration from the Ghawazee tribes of Egypt and the Berber tribes of North Africa
- What types of music do you use, and how do you use them in different types of dance?
- I use a lot of ethnic music that has drum rhythms from the middle east and India. I also use some more modern Techno, and groups that infuse techno with middle eastern and Indian rhythms. When I am using the more ethnic music, I tend to be doing traditional movement, the modern techno, I tend to be more expressive, and carry the energy of the music through out my dance.
- What was your first exposure to this style of dance and what effect did it have on you then?
- I am active in Amtgard, and have been since I was a teenager, there is where I was first introduced to Tribal by some friends who wanted to create a dance troupe. They needed a third person, and told me I had no choice! It looked cool, the way the costumes looked, the way the dancers danced just reached into my heart and grabbed it. I knew instantly this was the dance for me!